Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mission Statement or Declaration of Principles



Welcome to my blog! It seems appropriate to start off with a Mission Statement a la Jerry Mcguire or perhaps with a Declaration of Principles like Charles Foster Kane:

I.
In this day and age, American society has become cut off from itself. We wake up in boxes we call our home, get ready, climb into another box and drive, only to enter yet another box (even worse a cubicle, a box within a box) for labor intensive activity that pays the bills. As we drive home several hours later, perhaps we stop at one last box to pick up a gallon of milk. Our sense of national life has diminished; the day of the boulvardiers is no more. We have become segregated from each other and, therefore, ourselves. But we need that sense of civic and national life we call community, if for no other reason, to discuss the important issues we face as a nation, a people. If our streets have become built up with monolithic structures on a plain of suburban sprawl; If mausoleums of mercantilism seem to be artificial and devoid of life; If even a cup of coffee has become corporate and "to go;" then don't we need a forum in which to converse again? It is in this spirit I present my blog. There is so much beauty in the world and too many problems that threaten its collapse. They need to be discussed. Speaking with our friends, in person, can never be replaced. Blogging on the internet is just another small way of moving the conversation along.
II.
This blog promises to express my thoughts and opinions and invite the responses of its readers(whether they agree or disagree with me). Hopefully, it will be interesting and fun to read, as well.


Now Playing...Pete Seager Sings "Little Boxes"

4 comments:

Can Bass 1 said...

I'm afraid much of what you relate is rather obscure to one marooned to the west of your dear land of the free. Perhaps your blog will shed light on these, on other matters? Welcome to the blog-o-sphere (or whatever they call it). PS: I found you because your friend, Sir Monocole, alerted me of your existence. You don't think he was upset by my last comment, do you? It was sincerely meant.

Theophanes said...

Thanks for coming to my blog. I will do my best to explain culture on this side of the pond (lol). If you were referring to the comment you made comparing the Anglican and Episcopal bishops, I don't think Sir monocle would be upset by that. Please continue to visit my blog.

Ms Nomy said...

Well put, my friend! As I sit in my comfortable Lazy Boy "box" reading your inaugural posting, I can feel my world expanding already. Thank you for sharing your reflections on life, the universe & everything...

Theophanes said...

Thanks for the positive feedback! I am so happy that you visited my blog. I just hope that I will be able to fulfill the mission put forth in my statement.